Tuesday, February 21, 2012


I remember when they inaugurated the activation of this very unremarkable fountain in the middle (?) of the sea. There were fireworks, and the people of Karachi had something to look forward to that weekend. The police cordoned off Seaview. If there's one thing you should know about the security forces in Karachi, it's that they're perpetually found cordoning off one area or another. We went to our khala's place and stood in her balcony on the tenth floor, obnoxious male cousin in tow, watching as the bright lights and smoke filled the air. I remember looking at the the men who were setting these gigantic fireworks off, they looked like ants from that high up. I remember being concerned for their safety and hoping they didn't get burnt. But it was gorgeous, and for those fifteen minutes I forgot all about all the sadness I felt back then.
Too much teenage angst, coupled with feeling betrayed and too saddened for my own good. Those really were the days.
A year or two went by. The fountain no longer worked, and I was probably still angry. No one seemed to remember the fireworks, and in school people cracked dirty jokes about the now inactive fountain, the nature of which shouldn't be too difficult to guess.
And now I'm here, and I remember the fountain and the fireworks, but most of all I remember the sea it was in the middle of.

3 comments:

  1. hate to say this, but this wasn't as good as it could have been. coming from you, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fisherman told me it stopped working because a thaili was stuck in the pipe. It seemed really ludicrous and fitting at the time-how a stupid plastic bag could derail something Karachi had been excited about.
    On a happier note, it's on again and my friends and I were lucky enough to go right through the spray when we went to get high on a little island (big rock?) there. You should try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @nsky- I never really sit down and consciously make an effort to write or edit, maybe that's why =)

    @s.e- that sounds like a truckload of fun.. I need to find people who have access to said rock now that you've told me it's possible

    ReplyDelete