Sunday, June 12, 2011

4.

Every once in a while I come across something that makes me very glad that I had the choice and made the decision to study at a women's college. In South Hadley it can become difficult to see how choosing an institution can also be a statement of the politics you believe in. There are people who attend because they did not get accepted into their first choice colleges, there are those who become disillusioned with the somewhat militant versions of feminism (me being amongst them) that exist on campus, and then there's also the matter of becoming complacent about the bubble you find yourself in, and with the passage of time you inevitably start taking your environment for granted. It's easier to dumb yourself down at college more than anywhere else because you find yourself caught up in trying to maintain those grades you need to get into that graduate program you've wanted to be in for as long as you can remember now, because it will help you get that career you've always dreamed of. The things you were once passionate about either recede into a "temporary" insignificance because you promise yourself there will be time to attend to personal interests later, or they become part of your academics, and as much as you might love them there will be times when you feel sick of them because that's the difference between having to do something and wanting to do it.
My point is that these things never occurred to me while I was at Moho, and even if they did, it was easy to forget about them. Till I came back to Karachi. I've learnt again and again that distance gives you clarity.
Last night my friends and I were talking about a certain couple and their not-so-strange relationship. The boyfriend is an emotionally abusive, patriarchal, pig-headed and overly possessive waste of space, and the girlfriend is, accordingly, meek, obedient, afraid to death of him and acts as the fuel that feeds his already inflated ego. These kinds of relationships are fairly common, granted. However, what I fail to understand is that this girl is one of the few in a country like ours who have been given the opportunity to have a certain degree of autonomy over their lives, and yet here she is, willingly involved in an abusive relationship with someone who claims to love her but will refer to her as a whore if he catches her even saying hello to another man. While women all over Pakistan are involved in a struggle to be considered human beings and first class citizens who should be able to enjoy equal rights and liberties, should have access to fair justice and should be able to have a say in how they will live their lives, there is this girl who insults these struggles by allowing  a person to determine every aspect of her life, down to when/if she can breathe.
While I am in no way disregarding any emotional attachments that come as part of being in love with someone, my main problem here is the abuse of choice. There is something absurd about being with someone who insists that you cannot be friends with girls who are not in committed relationships or are not married, because women who are single are a corrupting influence. She has chosen to be with someone who abuses her emotionally and perhaps even physically, but there are women who have to suffer the same kinds of relationships everyday of their lives without being given the choice to put their foot down and say no, I will not take your nonsense, I will not let you take ownership of my person, I will not let you make the decisions I should be making for myself, and I will not let you make me so dependent that I have to rely on you for my survival. And perhaps some will argue that she should be left alone, and I suppose they would have a point, but it wouldn't be one I believe in. By choosing to stay in a relationship so poisonous, this girl belittles me, she belittles my mother's struggle as a single parent to three daughters in a country so deeply steeped in sexism, Mukhtaran Mai's fight for justice, the work of institutions like Aurat Foundation and the common struggle of thousands of women, for many of whom it takes the form of hope that perhaps their daughters will not suffer like they are suffering.
I could say it in one line, or I could say it in a long post, but dear girl, you have no right. Really.

4 comments:

  1. 1. Instead of blaming the abuser or the widespread tolerance of domestic abuse in Pakistan, the onus has been shifted onto the girl. you're choosing for her 'abuse of choice.' Victim-blaming, you're doing it right. Choice is a subjective concept and we are all privileged and/or dis-privileged at various points in our life anyways.

    2. Women in abusive relationships often have trouble ending them and not because they don't want to or because they're abusing their choices - it's because they can't. Often they've been psychologically belittled into staying - often the abuser threatens them with bodily harm or emotional blackmail - and often they can't, because of the shame and stigma attached. Do you think it's easy staying in an abusive relationship or that women who do, enjoy it? For fuck's sake, if it was as simple as just ending it and walking out, why would anyone stay in an abusive relationship in the first place? Stop binarizing a complex issue.

    3. How can you claim to be against domestic violence then suggest that only certain types of women (who are in abusive relationships) deserve sympathy and understanding, the criterion being decided by outsiders like you - you think the girl has autonomy but really, what do you know? Is her definition of autonomy the same as yours? Do you think she began this relationship, fully aware that this was where it would lead? Do you really know the factors that prevent her from ending it? You're the one belittling the survivors of domestic abuse, not her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to go through my post and pointing out whatever you feel is wrong with it. However, this is a blog that contains my personal opinions. There is a reason why this is not an op-ed in some publication, because it is a controversial issue, and my stance about it is, admittedly, something that may not go down well with many (you included, clearly).

    I agree, choice is a subjective concept. However, my rant stemmed from previous knowledge about this particular couple, including the fact that this young lady was aware of exactly what she was getting into and where it would lead.
    Excuse me for feeling this way, but as much as the rest of the world admires someone like Tehmina Durrani speaking out against Mustafa Khar and the domestic abuse she suffered in that relationship, the fact that she chose to be with a man who was known to be abusive towards his partners shifts the blame, at least partly, towards the person suffering the abuse too. That's the kind of blame I am talking about here.
    I am not, and have no intention of,"binarizing" a complex issue. I know exactly how brutal it is on one's psyche to be in an abusive relationship, and I have been in one myself in the past. Don't think for a second that I do not know how difficult it is to get out of them, or to think of the stigma attached to something like this. I'm not culturally insensitive, nor am I an "outsider". I've spent my entire life in Pakistan, and my knowledge of social dynamics is as good as yours, so bear with me. Furthermore, I was not suggesting that it's only certain types of victims who deserve sympathy while others should be condemned and be blamed for their suffering.
    She does not have to have the same definition of autonomy as I do, but submitting herself to this sort of abuse is just uncalled for. There are reasons she is in that relationship, and those are some that further prevent me from sympathizing with her. I will not mention them here because it is unnecessary, but rest assured, I was not taking a jab at people who suffer from domestic abuse. I've personally been a witness to and a victim of gender oppression, and I know of the subtle, insidious ways in which it works.
    Did you consider even for a moment that my opinion has been shaped by personal experience? Or that my "insensitivity" comes from the exasperation that this girl has the awareness required to know what an abusive relationship looks like, and yet chose to exercise such a lack of self-respect from the get go?
    Nevertheless, I have mentioned in my post that there will be those who disagree with me. And that's fine, I will not ask you to change your opinion, and I will hope that you are able to respect mine for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that this is your blog and you're entitled to your personal opinions. However this is a public blog on the Internet - you have the right to your opinion but when you put it out there on the Internet, there will be occasions when you will be called out on it and required to defend it or the very least, discuss it. If for whatever reasons, you don't want to, make the blog private then.

    Re: Tehmina Durrani - by that logic, Aasiya Hassan deserved to get her head chopped off then. After all, Muzzammil Hassan had been married and divorced twice and his previous wives had accused him of being abusive.

    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I don't think survivors of domestic abuse - be they women like Tehmina Durrani - are even partly responsible for being pistol-whipped and raped by their husbands.

    I am not, and have no intention of,"binarizing" a complex issue. I know exactly how brutal it is on one's psyche to be in an abusive relationship, and I have been in one myself in the past. Don't think for a second that I do not know how difficult it is to get out of them, or to think of the stigma attached to something like this. I'm not culturally insensitive, nor am I an "outsider". I've spent my entire life in Pakistan, and my knowledge of social dynamics is as good as yours, so bear with me. Furthermore, I was not suggesting that it's only certain types of victims who deserve sympathy while others should be condemned and be blamed for their suffering.
    I didn't mean outsider in a cultural/national context. I meant it in the sense that you were a third-party observing their relationship.

    Did you consider even for a moment that my opinion has been shaped by personal experience as well? I'm not just an anonymous self-righteous dipshit blathering on (this is not an attack on you or any other blogger btw) - I've been in an abusive relationship as well and it is precisely because of that relationship, that I hold the opinions that I do. I'm a female bodied person as well and like you, I do know how gender oppression functions.

    If you're so exasperated then have you done something to help the girl? Have you tried talking to her or offering her support?

    Like I said above, I do respect your right to your opinion and engaging in a discussion does not mean otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no one deserves to suffer in a way as horrifying as Aasiya, or even suffer at all. But when someone like Samia Sarwar can be brutally gunned down in her own lawyer's office, at the age of 30 which is considered to be a point where you are mature enough to make your own decisions,because she was standing up for her rights, there is something to be said about these things creating a sort of awareness.
    It is that struggle that I'm talking about belittling. My post was not about the gradual decline of a relationship to the point where this girl is emotionally abused by her boyfriend, and she has no way of defending herself. It was about knowing exactly what she was getting herself into. I know that "love" tends to cloud one's judgment, and that many women think that the object of their affections will change. I've heard that argument time and again, and the strange ways women convince themselves that they are the ones who will change a man are truly saddening.

    My mother is a lawyer who often handles divorce cases, and one of the most common complaints is "I thought he would change." It's that empty expectation that is exasperating and futile. Yes, this girl has been offered help and support, but if at the end of the day she is going to swear at her friends for trying to destroy whatever warped fairytale she is living in, then everyone will eventually leave her alone.
    And perhaps that's exactly what she wants. But I am at liberty to see this as I do, and I thank you for acknowledging that.

    ReplyDelete