Wednesday, August 22, 2012

afraid

One of the things I've discovered about myself is that I'm afraid. So is everyone, you might say. And I'm sure you'd be right, but nonetheless, I am afraid. I often find myself thinking quite enviously about the experiences people have by themselves, by just jumping into things and letting them happen. I was never one of those people. Perhaps only when it came to saying what was on my mind, but I still do that.
I've learned how to be scared, to be more careful, to think a million times before I do anything, because I believe that trouble has a way of finding me. And I hate it, because nothing in the world makes me feel older than this. This has a sense of finality, having to think about your actions, making contingency plans and thinking in circles of what ifs. I'm terrified of personal disasters because as much as I try, I don't have a plan B. I don't even have plan A and a half. So I'm scared.
I like to watch people, think about their stories and their lives, unless they make it painfully obvious that they want others to see them. I like to watch myself too. And if you asked me to use one word to describe myself, I would use hesitant. Or unsure. Or uncertain. Maybe indecisive.
But the processes in my mind are a constant back and forth, thoughts bouncing off walls and finally combusting  after I've exhausted them beyond any possible further use.
I've heard being alone isn't that bad, but loneliness scares the absolute fuck out of me. Ask me to travel alone, and I probably won't know what to do. I think I get that from my mother, she's a very cautious woman, and they tell me girls becomes more like their mothers as they grow up.

But I also know I need to stop being so afraid, because if I don't, this will turn into immense regret. And that's even worse.

4 comments:

  1. Being alone does not necessarily mean being lonely. Also, travelling alone is one of the best experiences I have had. You just know what to do, and when you don't, you still do it. You should try doing it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gets easier. Travelling alone. Scary, then exciting, then boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its better to be safe than sorry. from what i've learnt in life is that no matter how much cautious you get, disaster always has a way of finding you. so sit back, let life move on its own way and take risks once in a while. that adrenaline rush feels very good when taken occasional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being an old soul has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to ask yourself: are you willing to make that trade-off? Do you have a choice?

    Some people spend their whole lives playing pigeon. They're too afraid to admit even to themselves that they're afraid. You're already well on your way to finding your courage; the journey gets better.

    ReplyDelete